Monday, January 09, 2006

 

VH1 VAL DAY QUOTES: MUSICAL INSPIRATION TO PREPARE FOR FEB.14


VH1.com has a webpage that collects some choice quotes about Valentine's Day, from a wide range of musical artists. (Sure, it's January, but can it ever be too early to prepare to please your partner? Okay, don't answer. It's rhetorical, Mr. Cynic. One of my resolutions was to stop procrastinating, so sue me if I'm a tad early.) Here are some highlights:


Al Jourgensen - Ministry
My wife and I have two songs that are "our" songs. There's Buck Owens' "Excuse Me, I Think I've Got a Heartache." It's just your basic Bakersfield sound from the early `60s. It's got a skiffle train beat and a lot of pedal steel. I wouldn't do Buck justice to sing it for you! Then at Graceland, while we were getting married, they were blasting "Can't Help Falling in Love With You." Two schmaltzy, corny songs.

David Crosby
You know what we do on Valentine's Day? We sneak off by ourselves, and...Well, this is how I do it. I go get crayons and scissors and glue. And I make a valentine for her. They're usually pretty elaborate; they've got a lot of colors. And they're kind of corny. And we've been doing that for a long time, we make Valentine's for each other.......

Jeffrey Gaines
I've got the very best intentions for Valentine's Day. All I want to do is love everyone! I used to love it when we were in elementary school and you'd get that box of Valentine's and hand them out to everyone. Now everyone says, "Well, what did she get? And what did she get?" It's like a love competition! I'm like, "It's like a family. It's nothing. Don't be that way, because life's too short." As far as songs go, there's a Byrds track called "Triad" where David Crosby sings, "Why can't we go on as three?" That's a good song for Valentine's Day.

Andy Bell - Erasure
I just bought my Valentine's card today. It's got a 3D baby on the front and it says, "Whenever I'm near you, I get all hot and flustered. For you I would dance all day in my pants and swim through a river of custard." I don't really get into it. I love roses and I love receiving flowers, so I love sending them. ....... As far as physical romance goes, the first sign of lust is looking into someone's eyes and really wanting to kiss their lips.

Gaz Coombes - Supergrass
Our Valentine's song is "Miss You" by the Rolling Stones. It's quite nice, but it's a bit cheesy. It's not really our song because of the content, it's because we always played it in my girlfriend's bedroom when we first got it together!


To see the rest of the quotes, from many more artists, click here.

And if you can't dream up a unique experience, musical or otherwise, for your special someone, there is always flowers. The one Val Day gift that's always music to a mate's ears.

Even Mr. or Ms. Cynic.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Back to TRR MUSIC Home