Tuesday, March 15, 2005

 

ALANIS AT LAST A LASS OF OUR LAND

It’s official--ALANIS MORISSETTE is now an American citizen. At a recent ceremony, ALANIS and 4500 others took an oath and were sworn in at the Los Angeles Convention Center. I know what you're thinking: great, more traffic. But face it, you and/or most of those you know are not true natives either, so get over it -- and besides, You Oughta Know that immigration is what makes this Melting Pot so great.

It was no surprise that Alanis, an emotional performer, got emotional on her special day.
“There was a turning point during the ceremony where I felt connected to this country in a way that I didn’t quite expect. America has been really great to me and I have felt welcomed since the day I came here."
When the national anthem was about to be performed at the ceremony, the singer’s emotions almost overtook her. “I wanted to walk up to one of the officials to ask if I could sing the anthem.” Instead, concertgoers at her Los Angeles show that evening were treated to an impromptu version of the “Star Spangled Banner” in mid-set. The show also featured surprise guest performers like actor Dermot Mulroney (who knew "The Wedding Date" man played cello?), Boyd Tinsley (Dave Matthews Band violinist) and fellow Canadian Avril Lavigne. Toward the end of the set, Alanis began performing Avril’s “Losing Grip,” during which Avril joined Alanis onstage before the two dueted on Alanis’ “Ironic.”

But Alanis fans north of the border needn’t worry, she isn’t turning her back on her native land. “I will never renounce my Canadian citizenship--I consider myself a Canadian-American,” says the singer, songwriter and musician. “It can be difficult to travel and being an American will make it easier to travel over borders. I’ll also be able to sponsor family members who want to come and live near me.” And, not unexpectedly, she added, “I’d like to make political comments and not have my chops busted by people who say I don’t have the right to comment.” Personally, I can't picture anyone who's heard "You Oughta Know" trying to bust Alanis's chops... but if they did, watch out -- she now has the right to make a citizen's arrest. And if she did, I know what you'd be thinking. "Isn't it ironic..."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Back to TRR MUSIC Home